Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring gardening

Pictured is the golden currant bush, also known as spicebush or clove currant. I have two in full bloom right now and they do smell like cloves. One is planted by the kitchen door and one is by the front door. That way everyone gets a big whiff of them as they come and go. I purchased them as little bitty bushes from a wildflower nursery in Missouri about 4 years ago and they are doing great here in Oklahoma. They have grown to about 4 1/2 feet tall and about that wide.
My gardening style is very casual. The "Let's plant this here and see how it does" style. Which means, I lose some things and move things around some. When we bought the property that would become our Tulsa bed and breakfast, there was no landscaping. There was a big holly bush that hid the house from the street and blocked the view to beautiful Woodward Park. That had to go even though I hated to cut it down. The backyard was a jungle of vines that tooks weeks to remove.
My husband prefers structured formal gardens. We compromised by hiring a landscape company to do the front and along the drive four years ago. I get to do whatever I want with the side and backyard. A few things have shown up in the front that weren't part of the landscaper's plan. I don't know how that happened. A squirrel must have put that there. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I hope you can take some time to visit the Inn at Woodward Park this spring or summer. You can see my gardens, then walk across the street to see the spectacular gardens of Woodward Park and the Philbrook Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment