Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bird watching at the B&B

This cute little guy is called a yellow rumped warbler. I saw him first last year in February and he has returned to the birdfeeder right outside my kitchen again this year. He is only 4 inches tall and not shy. The weather is 50 degrees today but an artic blast is predicted for next week. He may be on his way to Mexico by then.
We are blessed to have an abundance of birdlife here at our Tulsa bed and breakfast. Right now I see starlings, mournig doves, cardinals, sparrows and a downy woodpecker at the feeders. This morning I saw some juncos and a wren. We have robins, mockingbirds and blue jays in the neighborhood also. Occasionally, a bigger woodpecker, the red bellied woodpecker would visit. Last year my neighborhood had to cut down a big old dead tree and I think that it where that woodpecker lived. I have not seen that bird recently and I miss him. The red tailed hawk from the song "Oklahoma" can be seen flying overheard once in a while. They are more common around open fields. This time of year we start to see the Bald Eagle around the Arkansas River, just two miles from here. They like to fish in the waters coming off the Keystone Dam.
I keep my copy of the book "The Backyard Bird-Lover's Guide" and a pair of binoculars upstairs in the sunroom so guests can enjoy watching and identifying our littlest visitors, too. I would love for you to come for a visit and perhaps you might spy a new bird while you are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment